recent posts...

Monday, November 5, 2012

The Jersey Shore



For me growing up in New Jersey was something I always treasured, especially since I moved away when I was in High School. There are so many memories I hold on to. My family always got together and when they did we had a blast. Being from up north we were loud and proud and loved being together.

My grandparents took us to the shore when we were little. Atlantic City was their spot and eventually Cape May. I remember the smell of peanuts and the smell of the boardwalk like it was yesterday.

I had the opportunity to ride all the rides on the pier in Atlantic City, Seaside Heights and Ocean City.
There was nothing like it. We would sometimes rent bicycles and ride on the boardwalk early in the morning. We would spend the day on the beach, go back to the hotel to take a nap and get ready for night.

Night time was the best! All those lights from the rides and game. It was so exciting.



Now that I am an adult I still have wonderful memories of the shore. Recently I spent the summer with my aunts. uncles and cousins. I got to hang out and watch my children enjoy and make memories.

Disaster strikes and we then realize what is important in our lives and how memories are all we have sometimes to hold on to.

Sandy came in with a vengeance. Destroyed the Jersey Shore. All the beaches are gone. The roller-coaster in the ocean. Boardwalks gone. Over the years watching my home crumble with two disasters has made me sad. September 11th forever changed the NYC skyline and now Sandy has forever changed the Jersey Shore.

I am thankful my family and friends are well. My heart and prayers go out to everyone. There is a lot of work to do. My aunt and Uncle have to rebuild their home and friends are out of work and school. Some have people piled up in their homes. All sharing and patiently waiting for gas and electricity.

Watching makes it worse. There is nothing the feels more helpless. So I donate what I can and hope that when I visit I can comfort someone.

If you are reading this please help rebuild The Jersey Shore and all those affected by hurricane Sandy by donating to the Red Cross or other organizations.

It just takes one person to make a difference! Thank You!

3 comments:

Calypso In The Country said...

Deneen, that was a beautiful post. You had me in tears! From one Jersey girl to another, I am proud to say that I am from this state. Over the past few years the embarrassment from all the reality shows has made our state such a joke to outsiders but we know how great it is. At least the rest of the country will get to see how great the state was and still is. It may never be the same as we remembered it but will always be our home. "Jersey Strong"! Take care, Shelley

Anonymous said...

Cape May is near and dear to our hearts! We are just sick about it.

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Wonderful post Deneen.
They always say cherish your memories. So sad to see all the devastation ~ and now people are looting ~ Why do people have to take advantage of other peoples misery???
Prayers and thoughts going out to all those affected by that horrific storm.
Prim Blessings
Robin