recent posts...

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Missing my Baby


Last year at this time we had a little Christmas Miracle with our cat. You should read all about it!

We also had to do one of the hardest things I ever had to do. Put down our sweet baby girl of 13 years a year ago today.


I couldn't talk about it last year. I felt guilty mourning over her when all those people had just gone through such a horrific event in Connecticut loosing their children.

Also, it was painful to write.



I again tried to write a post around 6 months after and it still sits in my unfinished drafts section.

She was a Christmas present to my son when he was 12. Well, if you ever had pets you know they get attached to the caregiver, the one that feeds them. ME!

We adopted her from For Love at First Sight in Nashville, TN. All our animals have been adopted. I highly recommend doing that when looking for a good pet to love.

She was named Misha and we kept it to not confuse her. She grew up wit my children, loving them and being a companion.

My daughter would dress her up in doll clothes and have tea parties with her. My son would chase her around the yard and get her in the pool to swim.

She wasn't a dog in our eyes, she was part of our family. She was very particular. Very neat and ladylike.

When we moved to Murfreesboro 8 years ago, she discover the backyard had grown and became her oasis.

She guarded the land she laid on.

Never running off and always staying by my side.

Then she grew old and like Shell
 Silverstein's The Giving Tree, She grew tired.

Her hair on her chin resembled Santa.

She became feeble.

We adopted this little guy to become her friend and companion.


Then after a year together she became ill.

I had always said I would never let her live in pain. I would put her down.

Let me tell you I thought I could do it but it was very hard. I questioned myself. 

When I saw her back paws give way and she couldn't stand I knew what I had to do.

Say goodbye....

I cried .....and cry as I type this.

God gave her to us for so many wonderful reasons. We have the best memories.
We laugh when we think of her always stealing sweets, chasing the battery operated helicopter, and not wanting to step on the grass after the other dog did his "business"! LOL

Pets = unconditional love.

She always gave it freely.

I still miss her so!!

If you would like to keep up with Dreaming in Color
enter your email address to get posts in your inbox!:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

13 comments:

Calypso In The Country said...

I'm so sorry. Our pets really are our babies and it's so heartbreaking when we lose them. Take care, Shelley

Cassie Bustamante said...

i am so sorry, deneen. we lost charlie the day after thanksgiving... we were about to take him in as we knew it was time, but we were fortunate in that he passed at home just before we were to leave. i have been so off this holiday season- trying to be in the spirit, but all the things that make me so happy also make me so sad right now. i had a good cry the other day while the kids were at school, and i was just missing my boy. we still have jake, but this week it has really set in with him i could see- he was very clingy and lonely. hoping time will mend our hearts, and yours, too.

Patty said...

We were not blessed with children, Deneen, so our pets have always been our family. We've had some really terrible days after having to put down our babies. Large and small, we have many on our property buried with favorite blankets or toys. Their names come to our lips in sweet memories and stories of "remember when." Cats and dogs, they have come to us in many ways, but always rescued from a worse fate. The heartbreak of losing them is dreadful, but I will face it for the love that they freely give while they are with us. I cannot imagine life without the sweetness they add to my days.

Simply Stone Creek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Simply Stone Creek said...

I know the pain you are going through all too well. We also had to put down our precious CoCo this year and I still miss her even more so now. She was like a child to us, but she also had grown very old and was losing so much quality of life. I also posted a tribute to her on my blog http://stonecreekantiques.blogspot.com/2013/08/missing-my-girl.html. We can only believe that we have given our babies the best lives they could have possibly been given and await the day that we get to see them again. :)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Pets are such an important part of our lives. I hope your memories make you smile!

Little Miss Maggie said...

I know exactly how you feel. Pets are the best gifts our lives could ever receive besides our children. I have never gotten over the loss of any of our pets. Maybe I'm just too sentimental but losing them is like losing a chunk from my heart that will never grow back. Misha was a lucky dog to be so loved for so long and I'm sure her spirit will be you always.

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Aw, Deneen, I'm sorry too. Pets are family members and it's so hard when they leave us.

Unknown said...

I know it must still hurt to write about losing your sweet girl and I feel for you Deneen. Our three dogs are so much a part of our family and have given US so much just by loving us no matter what. With two of them ailing I don't look forward to the day when we have to say goodbye.
Huge blessings to you this Christmas season Deneen. Hugs, Patti

Vintage said...

Im so sorry, too. God bless you and comfort you.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry. I know the feeling too. We had to put down our Duke at age 13. His legs gave out and he could no longer walk at all. At first we tried to carry him outside to do his duty. But he was heavy and very unhappy. I finally had to make a decision. That was just before Christmas in 1999. Six months later I lost my husky, Nikki. And prior to Duke passing, I lost one of the cats. And yes, they are not pets, they are members of your family. And loosing them is hard. I still get emotional when I think of them. So you are not alone. You have joined the "Over the Rainbow" club. They are all waiting for us to join them someday. Hang in there.

Sue

karen@somewhatquirky said...

It chokes me up to try to think of something to say - which would be of little consequence anyway. Bless your heart - and I don't mean that in the insulting way. I mean it in the loving way.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Thanks Sue for your kind words! Sorry for your loss too.