recent posts...

Monday, August 12, 2013

English Yellow End Table

A yellow rose and its meaning. Admiration, joy, friendship



When I hear English Yellow I think of Princess Diana the English Rose. I remember the sadness when she died. Elton John did a tribute to her "Goodbye England's Rose" to the tune of Candle in the Wind"

Goodbye England's rose
May you ever grow in our hearts
You were the grace that placed itself
Where lives were torn apart
You called out to our country
And you whispered to those in pain
Now you belong to heaven
And the stars spell out your name

Flash forward to today.

We celebrate the birth of a prince! Princess Diana's Son Prince William and his wife Catherine named their son Prince George Alexander. What a celebration!

That is how I view the color yellow. Happy and sad.

What does this have to do with furniture?


Chalk Paint ® decorative paint by Annie Sloan's English Yellow is what I have been working with. 

I think maybe Annie came up with this color because is reminds her of the Royals. Maybe not. Maybe it is just in my mind so I translate it here.

On rainy days yellow gives off a sadness to me. This is a bright color though.

I was hesitant to use it.

Yellow is one of those hard colors. You have to be careful using it because it is very strong. I have seen some disasters in decorating with it and painting walls. I love a pale creamy yellow. Like a custard. When I got this paint I knew it wasn't what I was used to. I have to say I do so much painting but it is mostly neutrals because that is what sells best. When it comes to color I paint furniture accents. The small pieces.



When I was in Atlanta last week for Haven I visited Ikea. There were lots of bright yellow end tables. A lot like this color. I though it looked bright and cheery so I went with it.


It turned an old maple table into a modern piece with the swipe of my brush


and although I am not a huge fan of yellow I can say I really love the way it came out. I do have a few yellow accents in my kitchen but this one went to the store for sale.


And my yellow paper roses looked like it belonged to this table! So I will celebrate this happy color.
No distressing just clear wax. Slick and clean. To be admired.....
an English Rose!


If you would like to keep up with Dreaming in Color
enter your email address to get posts in your inbox!:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...linking to
Miss Mustard Seed

8 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

super cute! that was the perfect table for this fun color!

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

What a great color for that sweet little table!

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

Nothing more cheerful than yellow!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

What a beautiful table..I love the yellow...creamy and dreamy!

Unknown said...

I'm glad I saw this Deneen - because I really didn't like the color when I saw it on the charts - but it's beautiful!!!
XOXO

Donna@AllthingsMing said...

you are so right about the whole yellow paradigm.I love t he table and your roses!

Debbie said...

Where us your store? Do tell!!

Debbie said...

Where us your store? Do tell!!