recent posts...

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Antique Drum Table

I have had this table for a while just sitting around my sun room. I love the shape and details. The minute I purchased it I knew I would paint it and of course I am glad I did!


It didn't start out that nice


I have a few pieces ready for paint as you can see!

I tried a layering effect to give it some dimension. I used two colors, Paris Grey and Graphite.

I used the Graphite to also highlight the details. It looked funny at first but the key to this is in the layering. I painted it with the Paris Grey waited for it to dry then added the Graphite.


Then I roughly sanded the top and bottom of the piece.


I know it looks funny now but then I went over it with clear wax mixed with Paris Grey.



It tones is down and gives it dimension. Also the wax starts to crackle a little to give it a rich patina.


It is hard to make it out in the pictures.


I started to stage it then just added to the side of my chair!


As usual painting did not disappoint! This was a different way to paint and distress. I like changing it up from time to time. It makes painting several things more fun!


I want to give a shout out to Michele at The Scrap Shoppe for featuring my witch's hat on her Facebook page and Oopsey Daisy for featuring my fabric pins!

Thanks for liking what I do!!!


Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog

12 comments:

Deborah said...

Wow! you have done an amazing job on this table, after all that hard work it is now so sweet, clever you :)

Bee happy x
Have a delicious day!

ohiofarmgirl said...

The wax made a huge difference. It is beautiful. Dianntha

TheCrankyCrow said...

Beautiful transformation once again Deenen. I dunno, but paint just scares the heck out me - in fact, your first couple of photos scared the heck out of me....But you always pull it together for an always grand finale....Love it and what you do! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin (PS "Merry?" "Bright"? See what you've gone and done??!) ;o)

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

It looks great! I love it with that coat of wax. And thanks for the link love! Your witch's hat was too fun not to share. :)

Unknown said...

A lot of work!!! Which wax did you use?

outjunking said...

You have wonderful taste. The drum table turned out great. Your newest follower. Nice to meet another Tennessean.
Lisa

Stacey said...

Love this! I am hopLove your stuff at The Roost too! Oh wait, you're at 3 French Hens now, right? I haven't been in about a month!

Stacey said...

Sorry! My fingers fly WAY to fast on my iPhone and I was trying to add in a sentence saying I am hoping to try out some chalk paint soon and will keep this technique in mind! Or pinned! :) I love layering paint!

Vintage said...

WOW!!!

Lynn Stevens said...

Loved visiting your blog. and Love your use of color!
I do a lot of refurburnished furniture for my customers too. Most of the time they don't let me go to crazy! LOl
Lynn

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting pictures of the process! I'm anxious to give painted furniture a try. I love to complex subtleness of your style!! The more details the better, thank you !!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Thank you Sidney! I love trying new techniques!