recent posts...

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ballard Design Knock Off Theatre Sign Tutorial

I love making signs for a living. As I told you before I don't make too many for my blog. I did however make some Ticket Signs that have been very popular! It all started as a gift for my "Theatre Girl"

Then Ballard Designs came out with a "Theatre Sign"! I mean how can I pass up this little piece of inspiration.

Theatre Sign
I started with the same size board that they used. I did not frame it in glass. I felt there was no need to do that. I painted the board beige and made wide stripes to paint red.

I made them equal and each side a partial stripe to look like it was continuing off the board.





I taped the lines to give a sharper edge. This doesn't have to be too perfect because it needs to look distressed. I painted the red starting at the first stripe skipping every other one and ending with another red one.





I pulled off the tape and started to distress it with antiquing glaze. Here is a closer look.



Although this looks screened, I cut white vinyl to go down first to outline the word.


I added the black on top but felt like it was missing something. So I added a border.
It is hard to see the distressing in the picture. It is my first one so I can tweak it from here.

Either way I think my "Theatre Girl" will love it!



Transformation Thursday

Domestically Speaking

16 comments:

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

She will definitely love it. It came out awesome!

Unknown said...

Ah! The PROPER spelling! Only a 'real' thespian would know this.;)

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your theatre girl is going to LOVE it!!! Perfect accompaniment to the Ticket sign. You make me want to build a theatre room just to be able to hang these glorious signs!! Happy Thursday! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Vintage said...

It's awesome!!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

I love it! I used molding to frame out my sign, but I love the look of the narrow black line on yours. Beautiful work!

Unknown said...

Wow... It is so beautiful!! Great job!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Oh this is so gorgeous! "Theatre Girl" is going to love this! How could she not?

SHERI COOK said...

Awesome sign! You have great talent. Happy PPF!

Netty said...

Terrific sign. Happy PPF!

Tracey FK said...

My daughter would love this so much as she is a theatre nut... not going to show her and I think I might attack this project for Christmas for her... thanks for the inspiration

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work.

HeARTworks said...

Will look really good hanging on a wall! Well done! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Daniele Valois said...

Looks super fantastic!

EVA said...

It turned out beautifully! Great depth!

Nikki Monet said...

This is awesome!! I really love it. It came out so good! Newest follower here stopping by from Everything Under the Moon. Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party going on right now :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/10/bedazzle-me-monday-5.html

Nikki Monet said...

I featured your sign on Everything Under the Moon! Feel free to stop by and grab a button :)
http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/10/you-dazzled_30.html