Then Ballard Designs came out with a "Theatre Sign"! I mean how can I pass up this little piece of inspiration.
I started with the same size board that they used. I did not frame it in glass. I felt there was no need to do that. I painted the board beige and made wide stripes to paint red.
I taped the lines to give a sharper edge. This doesn't have to be too perfect because it needs to look distressed. I painted the red starting at the first stripe skipping every other one and ending with another red one.
I pulled off the tape and started to distress it with antiquing glaze. Here is a closer look.
Although this looks screened, I cut white vinyl to go down first to outline the word.
I added the black on top but felt like it was missing something. So I added a border.
It is hard to see the distressing in the picture. It is my first one so I can tweak it from here.
Either way I think my "Theatre Girl" will love it!