recent posts...

Monday, May 20, 2013

Smoked Turkey Veggie Pasta

It is official! I will be going to Italy!

This has always been a dream of mine. When I was in grammar school, I had a friend who would go there every year. She always wanted me to go with her. She is my best friend to this day. We have done a lot together but I never got the chance to go to Italy. Then my husband surprised me at Christmas with this trip. Now it is official because now we have booked it!

We have never done anything this huge before. You see my husband hasn't been in the best of health for years. I don't talk about it much. It has been a long hard road. Knowing we are both taking this trip together truly feels like a dream.

I worry about the walking he will do but he is determined to live his life even through the pain he has.
We have been planning and searching for what we would like to do there and finally decided to take a tour for 13 days.


There are so many things I want to experience while I am there. Being 100% Italian, I am excited to eat the food!! Pasta, pizza, seafood, cheeses, bread, gellato! YUM


and go to the wine vineyards and taste the wonderful fruits of the land.


These thoughts made me so hungry. So I decided to spend the day in the kitchen making a favorite of mine and my family. Smoked Turkey Veggie Pasta.

This recipe makes a lot and it is great to bring to a picnic. With the summer holidays approaching, this one is a delicious dish to share.


I need to start learning some Italian! I only know a few words and most are bad words! (Don't judge! I grew up in an Italian household!)

And because of that....I can share some awesome recipes with you! Some I have shared are Linguine and Shrimp and Pesto to name a few.

Buon Appetito!

Smoked Turkey Veggie Pasta

Ingredients:

11/2-2lbs of fettuccine
1/2lb of fresh broccoli cut into florets
2 medium zucchinis sliced thin
6-8 green onions thinly sliced
1 large red pepper cut in thin strips
1 6oz can pitted olives sliced and drained
4c of cooked smoked turkey cubed 
2c cherry tomatoes
2/3c grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Basil Sauce
1/4 c basil chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 eggs
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1T wine vinegar
11/2 c olive oil
1/2 c sour cream

Fill pot with water and add salt (enough to make it salty) when it comes to a boil add pasta. Cook 10min or until al dente. ( a little firm) drain and place in a large bowl.

Add all vegetables and stir. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Make Basil Sauce in a food processor. This is made like a dressing. Combine basil and garlic and process for 30 seconds. Add egg and next 4 ingredients. Process 20 seconds. While running add oil slowly. Add sour cream and process for 5 seconds. Add to hot pasta and serve. This is great cold too! You can adjust recipe to taste.

Enjoy!
linking to

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Deneen....call me. I am a serious expert on this trip you are taking and can help out BIG TIME.

Create Beauty with Laurajo said...

I will keep you and your Hubbie in my prayers...I know this trip is going to be awesome for the both of you and I am sure your Hubbie will be having so much fun that his health will improve while you are there :) Thank you for the recipe. Man, it looks delicious!!

Little Miss Maggie said...

Your pasta photography is so pretty. It should be in a magazine. You will have a wonderful time, I am sure.

Bliss said...

Oh gosh, yum. Book me a seat to go with, but book me two seats for the trip home, as I'm sure to expand from the food.

Bliss

Donna@AllthingsMing said...

I went three years ago for the first time and I have never been the same. Like you I am 100% Italian and it was my biggest dream as well. I went to visit my long time yoga teacher who I study under and had moved to northern Italy. I have never witnessed so much beauty in my life! I am so so happy for you!!! where are you going ?

Laurie said...

Congratulations -- not just about your trip of a lifetime, but that your husband is well enough to take it!

Niki said...

This looks so delicious and healthy...definitely pinned for later.

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Deneen I'm excited for you! What a fun thing to even think about!! Your recipe looks delicious and surprisingly easy. Your pictures are fabulous. I had an Italian boss once. I think I made him swear alot. I know some of that kind of Italian too!

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

You can feel the excitement in your post!!!
I'm so happy for you!!!
Your pics look so yummy & beautiful!
Thanks for sharing!!!
When are you going on your trip ~ soon???
Prim Blessings
Robin

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Deneen, I am so excited for you to be going to Italy. I will pray your hubby does well on the trip and is pain free. You are going to love it completely. My grandmother was from Naples. I have never been but my hubby and I plan to go someday when we retire and take more time. Love the recipe and thank you for sharing. It looks amazing.
Wishing you lots of fun and look forward to hearing all about your travels and pics when you return.

Hugs and Blessings, Celestina Marie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I am SO happy for you my friend! I know you are so excited and this will come at a good time in your life. I'm glad your husband will feel like going and it will be a trip of a lifetime! It's my dream to travel there some day. You'll have so much to share! Sweet hugs!

Madonna/aka/Ms Lemon of Make Mine Lemon said...

I hope you have a wonderful trip, and your pasta looks divine.

Bonnie @ Uncommon Designs said...

Yummo Deneen! ;) Looks amazing! ;) Bonnie

Jenn Erickson said...

Deneen, congratulations on your upcoming trip abroad! How wonderful! Can't say I'm not a wee bit jealous ;-)

Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe! Can't wait to give it a go!

Jenn