recent posts...

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Homemade Basil Pesto


I love Italian food. I make it all the time because I grew up Italian and that is what we do! Cook! Cook a lot and make sure there is food to go around. Eat! This is what I heard growing up. At any occasion there was enough food to feed an army. In my opinion, it was the best food you ever ate too. So we carry on the tradition.

Just because I am Italian does not mean I like going to Italian restaurants. This is a misconception. Especially here in the south. There aren't any REAL Italian restaurants. So I stat home and eat my own.

This is a simple dish that is a delicacy. The garden had beautiful herbs in it. This came from my father's garden. He is an unbelievable gardener. The basil leaves are as big as my hand.

Pesto is great in many things. My favorite is on pasta.

You will need:
Approx 4c Basil fresh
5 cloves of garlic
a handful of pecans, pine nuts or walnuts
1/2 c of fresh pecorino romano cheese
olive oil

There really isn't a written recipe. It is all just thrown into the food processor!



 I fill the processor with fresh basil.


I like using pecans. Pine nuts are the most popular. Then I peel and add garlic.


Then I grate fresh cheese and add it to the mixture.


Cover and pour olive oil will processor is on. While it is spinning the basil will become a paste.


Then it is ready to add to 1 pound of pasta!! You can also spread this on some Italian bread. YUM!


My mouth is watering as I type this post. Very easy and delicious. Why would you go to a restaurant for this when you can make it at home so quick?

Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

Mine is very similar...I use almonds :) (you can find the recipe on my blog)

Carol said...

Looks O so yummy!!!!