recent posts...

Thursday, June 27, 2013

French Painted Patina Night Stand Chalk Paint Project

disclaimer: Although Annie Sloan Unfolded supplied me with the Napoleonic Blue paint., all opinions are mine in this post.

Chalk Paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan, has become a staple in my workshop! It is the only paint that I have worked with that gives me the look I am wanting to achieve. Playing around with paint and textures is something I enjoy doing. So what better time to show you my new creation!

Today I am please to be featured on Annie Sloan Unfolded Facebook page! I realize not all colors or techniques appeal to everyone but when you paint a lot of furniture you look for other ways to get results in hopes of reaching a different buyer. Sometimes just introducing it to my current clients gives them a new design and color scheme to incorporate in their decor.


Techniques lead people to think of things differently! One of my most popular posts is my Blue, White and Grey dresser. Also, my Farmhouse dresser where I layered paint to get an old worn out look. So when I came across these antique French night stands I knew I wanted a different technique. This time I even used silver leaf to add to the French Patina Night Stands.



Dragging the brush in different directions and throwing a wash of color adds to the aging. When you come across a piece of furniture with great lines, it is easy to fall in love! This one had beautiful pulls and curvy legs.


I used Chalk Paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan in Napoleonic Blue, Antibes Green, and Louis Blue. I combined the clear and dark waxes to get the patina on the piece. I also sanded a little.

The pulls were beautiful. I decided to keep them and add paint to them. I wanted this piece to look like it had been around awhile. I took silver leaf and rubbed it in various places around the molding to look like it was peeling.


I like to study patinas. You can't really replicate them but it is fun to try. Who knows? You might come close!





Anytime I can put an artsy spin on furniture I am happy! Staying true to the artist in me! lol


I wish the camera could capture how it really looks in person. How the silver sparkles in the light and the hint of green looks like it has a story to tell.

If you follow my blog you know I like different! I want to see something I haven't seen all over the web! It is hard to do that many different projects but I like to think projects like my Audrey Hepburn Dresser, French Piano Bench and Scripture Hutch are different enough to keep you all coming back for more eye candy! I appreciate all of you that do!

I have another one to do so I can have a matching set to sell. 



So glad these have storage and a drawer. It makes them unique and that means they will sell easily. Hopefully someone will like them and how different they are. Ready to paint some more!!



What have you done differently lately?

I would love for you to follow me here!
This piece featured at




linking to






28 comments:

Unknown said...

Unbelievable!!!
Absolutely unbelievable - I went over to Annie Sloan's and left a comment -
It's just gorgeous Deneen - you really knocked this out of the ball park!!xxx

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

I'd say you achieved a great patina replication! So beautiful Deneen!! Love it!

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

That's pretty amazing, Deneen! I confess, I just would not spend that much time on a piece because I feel I wouldn't get my money out of it. Good on ya!

Jessi said...

Absolutely gorgeous! You've inspired me to play around more with layers and colors! Beautiful work.

Irene Helms Designs said...

Fantastic combination of colors! It is beautiful!
Irene

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Absolutely beautiful Deneen!! I love trying to mimic old patinas too! It's so much fun to play around with color, sanding, washes and waxes! I could easily get paid to do this all day! I love it!

Kathi said...

I would love a few more details of how you achieved this look--it is fabulous!

Donna@AllthingsMing said...

you are so inspiring !!! i love the patina. Well you succeed with me cause i keep coming back for more. Like i said i wish you were closer ..i would be buying everything! I am owrking on my piesce again tomorrow . The little guy is out of school so it is a bit hard to paint with him around. As soon as i am done i will send a pic.

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

beautiful piece and beautiful painting job. You really did great in replicating the patina

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Ooh Deneen, this piece is drop dead gorgeous! Love it.

hugs
Sissie

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

I love this! I also LOVE ASCP and how well it distresses...seriously. You did such an amazing job with all the layering. Gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Sooo pretty! I love how it turned out. What a transformation!

Restyled Vintage said...

Found you via Annie Sloan Unfolded...love your work!
xx Karen

Diane D. said...

I just had to tell you that on our last trip to France we stayed in a Chateau. In the parlor was a huge armoire with almost the same finish that you achieved here and was really very old. Beautiful job! I admired the finish there and now here.
DianeD
Mansfield, MA

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

@Diane that is such a huge compliment! Thank you so much for leaving this comment! I would have loved to see that. You really made my day!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

This is really gorgeous Deneen! Just really really gorgeous. I would buy them in a heartbeat!

Little Miss Maggie said...

These are simply stunning. You are amazing. I love layers and layers of paint. So much more interesting than the same old stuff. Fabulous, Deneen.

Unknown said...

Oh Deneen . . . this is gorgeous . . . and YOU are amazing! Come and live by me so we can paint together! Blessings to you, Patti

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

So pretty! I love the new color you chose for it- thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

Botanic Bleu said...

Just beautiful. If I lived close by, I would be at your place trying to buy these!

I am now following via Google Friend Connect and Bloglovin'.

Judith

betsy said...

That is truly stunning. Love love love it!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Thanks so much Betsy! Glad you love it!

Unknown said...

WOW! I am impressed! This is so beautiful! I love, love, love how you seamlessly incorporated so many colors - it gives the piece so much depth. I definitely need to try this with the next piece of furniture I paint. Thank you for sharing!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

@Dawn Thank you Dawn so much for your sweet comment! I really try hard to do things different. This was a fun piece to explore my painting. Thanks for stopping by. Please come again!

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Wow, Wow, Wow! What a gorgeous, unique finish. It looks like a Monet painting. so gorgeous!Stopping by from Savvy Southern Style.

Unknown said...

Is there some place where you have written or videoed about your layered process? Philosophy maybe? Your bold approach is so much more appealing to me, somehow softer than most I've seen. I'd love to learn more!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Sidney thank you for the compliment. I do not have a video. I just start painting and trying new techniques.

Unknown said...

Perfeito Deneen! Obrigada por nĂ£o reter o conhecimento.
Parabéns!