recent posts...

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pier 1 Knock Off Pumpkin

I love shopping at Pier 1! I think they have the cutest things this season for Halloween.
I came across this pumpkin and thought it was so cute but at 49.95 I thought I could make it for a whole lot less. The description says potpourri but it is the caged pumpkin that caught my eye. Check it out!

Creamy Caramel Pumpkin Potpourri

The materials I used were:

Chicken Wire
pine cones
basket reeds or bendable branches
jute
silk fall leaf
pumpkin scented oil (optional)

I got the chicken wire and cut a square to my desired size. I used a bowl to get it started. It helped form the shape. I left the top open and filled it with pine cones from outside. This is when you can add the oil to the pine cones.


Pin It
Gather the wire and close it up at the top leaving a stem. Feed reed or branched through the wire to form pumpkin lines. Wrap stem with jute and glue leaf. I left some of the wire showing on top of stem because I liked the curly look.  Work with the chicken wire to keep the pumpkin form. Does not have to be perfect!!!!

I placed it next to my other Pier 1 item I bought a few years ago. A lighted twiggy pumpkin!

I made this bigger than the one I got the idea from. For a smaller one I think you could use a base of a pedestal like theirs. I am loving this in my living room!


Best of all I had everything lying around the house! So I saved the 49.95 cost! If you were to buy the supplies it still would be cheaper!

Why not give it a try?

homework




Photobuckethomework Beyond The Picket Fence Photobucket

11 comments:

Priscila said...

This turned out great! I love it!

Rhissanna said...

This is really lovely and I think I prefer yours to Pier 1's. However, until I read this post, I didn't know Pier 1 was available on-line.

Oh dear, oh dear...they do have some lovely stuff. So, I'm going to make a nice pot of tea and sit here and look at their websit,e instead of doing all the housework I was going to. And it's all your fault!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Very cute Deneen....I like Pier 1 too - and have that same lighted pumpkin (actually 2!!) Happy Tuesday! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Deneen! I love this and definitely love your cost a lot more than I love Pier 1's price! So cute! Sharing this on my FB page

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Fantastic! Deneen, I think I will be knocking *you* off!! :)

Unknown said...

Adorable! Where did you get the basket reeds?

Craftberry Bush said...

I just made one of these without knowing that pier one had it...yours looks great with the pine cones in it...xo

Unknown said...

Ooh, great work! And way to be thrifty! :) Thanks for linking up to the pumpkin challenge!!

Stephanie said...

SO cute! And I'm loving the chicken wire that's everywhere...I have to try something with it :)

Angie Holden said...

So cute Deneen! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!!

Unknown said...

Highlighted this on my blog today!!! Wanted to give you a heads up!