One recipe that is to die for is Eggplant Parmesan. It is a nice vegetarian dish also. If you have never tried eggplant try it now. The recipe follows.
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 Tab Olive Oil
3 cloves crushed garlic
2 Tab chopped fresh basil
Pour olive oil in pan on med. add garlic and cook till starting to brown add crushed tomatoes and fresh basil cook for 20 min.
|2||med-large eggplants, peeled|
|2||cups Italian Breadcrumbs|
|1/2||cup grated Parmesan|
|1||cup all purpose flour|
|12||ounces shredded mozzarella cheese or sliced fresh|
|6||Tablespoons grated Parmesan|
|Olive oil as needed for frying|
- Cut eggplant into 1/4" rounds. Salt liberally and allow to weep set in colander for one hour. Press eggplant dry between paper or tea towels.
- Preheat oven to 375° Lightly oil a shallow glass or ceramic 9" x 13" baking dish and cover bottom with a layer of marinara sauce. Combine breadcrumbs with the half cup parmesan in a pie plate. Set up 3 bowls with flour, beaten eggs, and breadcrumbs.
- Heat a large skillet medium-high. Pour in enough oil to come 1/4" up the sides. Dredge eggplant in flour, tapping off excess, then egg, dripping excess into plate. Coat in crumbs. Fry in hot oil, adjusting heat accordingly, until golden brown on each side. Set cooked eggplant to drain on paper towel. Lightly salt one side of the eggplant.
- Place an overlapping layer of eggplant in the sauced baking dish. Sprinkle on two tablespoons of parmesan. Ladle over another layer of sauce. Cover with a layer of mozzarella. Repeat layer of eggplant, parmesan, sauce, mozzarella, and finish with two more tablespoons of parmesan.
- Bake until cheese is hot and bubbling and dish is hot throughout, approximately 20-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.