recent posts...

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

How to Make a Dress Form

If you read my post yesterday "Designing A Bridal Show" you may have seen a little sneak peak of my dress form.

A few weeks ago I attended The Vintage Marketplace and got inspired when I saw a chicken wire dress form. Then my friend Jennifer made one because she got inspired from the same place!! I had already bought my chicken wire when I saw hers so I knew I had to go through with it!!!

So what better place to make her debut!

I knew I wanted her for one of my special items for the Bridal show I had decided to make a vintage burlap and lace dress form to showcase there.

I started out with a floor candlestick. You could also use a floor lamp,. Anything to give you the height it needs.


Don't pay any mind to the mess in the background :)

Because I used a candle holder I found a cylinder to put it the candle spot to form a neck and wrapped in burlap.


 I then cut chicken wire and molded with my hands a torso to put on pole and wired the back and front together.



 I cut up a vintage wedding gown and strips of burlap and vintage lace. The fun of this is to just scatter the pieces. Do not make it look to perfect!


I also put a hoop under the chicken wire to keep the form. You can use an embroidery hoop also. Start attaching strips by threading into the holes of the chicken wire. Some are just hanging others are tied in knots to give it interest.


I then added some vintage piano paper to it because I liked the curl. Any paper will work just play with it.

I added handmade jewelry to the neck and made sure she looked like I wanted.












All and all I think it made the perfect prop for the Bridal Show!

Pin It



Now I can't wait to make more of these! There are so many fun possibilities!

What do you think? Are you going to make one? Let me know when you do and I will feature you here!

My other dilemma is I want to name her!! Can you help me name her? Just leave your comment!!



Come see me!







15 comments:

Unknown said...

SERIOUSLY CLEVER Deneen!!!!! Love it.

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Oh how fun!! Cute idea and you did a wonderful job with it!! I think she should have a majestic name...maybe Lady Katherine!!
Blessings!!
And congrats on the new shop location!!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Thanks Jan! It was a fun project and I can't wait to try another one! Love the name since the name Catherine is dear to my heart!(daughter)If you get the chance come visit me in Franklin!

Catherine Denton said...

That is GORGEOUS! That prop would certainly grab my attention.

As for a name, what about Alatariel? According to the Elvish Name Generator (based on Tolkien's LOTR books, excuse my geekiness), that's your name. (I used "Dreaming" for your last name because I didn't know your real one). Happy naming!
Catherine Denton

Cassie Bustamante said...

lesley said exactly what i was thinking- CLEVER! you are amazing!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Super cute, Deneen!! I can't believe how well it turned out from the chicken wire. And when did you move??

Hope to see you Thursday!

Jessica @ Sunny Tuesday said...

That is adorable! See you Thursday! :)

outjunking said...

So impressed! It instantly makes me think of old world romance. Good job.
Lisa

Simply Tasheena said...

Bella could be a cute name for her! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party via: ourdelightfulhome@yahoo.com

Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

This is SO smart to make your own! I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Bohemian said...

A great idea and yours turned out fabulously!

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Southern Junk Chic said...

Love it Deneen!!

Beansieleigh said...

Awesome work, and love this idea! ~tina

Little Miss Maggie said...

Deneen, I totally love this idea. So adorable.

bird.is.the.word said...

She looks like an Abigail to me. Thanks for the tutorial!