recent posts...

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

How to get your Christmas Tree Taller?

I have been pondering buying a new Christmas tree this year. I have artificial trees mainly because of allergies. Since we moved in our new home a few years ago, the tree seemed to short for the vaulted ceilings. Most of the 9ft trees I have shopped for are around $300. I can think of a lot more things I would rather spend the money on. Let's face it, there are always after Christmas sales.

So I took the old tree out and put it together and stared.

....and stared


              ......and stared!

It seems that my creativity only happens when I stare at something for a long time. Most of the time it works and other times.....well....nothing, nada, zippo!!!

Then yesterday I turned my 7ft tree into an 8ft tree!!! Not 9ft but close!

I had purchased an old washtub. It was sitting in my sun room the day I put the tree up. I decided to turn it upside down and use it as a base to give the tree my height.


I was scared that there wouldn't be enough stability but there was.

Another tip:  See the green mat. It is a shelf liner. I put it under the tub to keep the tree from sliding on the wood floors. Works like a charm!

I will cover the tub with a tree skirt. It also looks good just like this. There are a lot of things I could have done like building a platform, but this was an easy fix.


Now to decorate. Hmmm

This year I haven't been in the mood to go all out as usual. Since I will be taking a trip soon to NYC, I think I want to keep it simple.


I guess it is time to star for awhile lol!

Do you have your tree up yet? How will you decorate it?

7 comments:

Paulette said...

Great solution to make the tree taller . Looking forward seeing your tree decorated. I am going to keep things simple this year, I remember only too well taking down last years decorations. What goes up must come down will be going around in my head while I decorate.

reFresh reStyle said...

Great idea :) I'm going smaller and less decor this year...I hope I am anyway :)
Debbie

srpprcrftr said...

Smart gal, giving tree height solves alot, gives a quick solution and looks great. There's always a solution if you have an imagination. I look forward to seeing your tree decorated and all snazzied up.
Altho we have a mfg. home our ceilings are high which I appreciate or I'd feel like the world would come crashing down on us. Think I tend to have a little claustrophobia. It's a single wide 16x80 so I feel kinda cramped sometimes. Our living room isn't very big, it's smack in middle of house and there's 3 door ways out of l/r which makes it difficult to arrange furniture, especially in a small room.
I spent all day today putting decs up and think that's about it.
I have one more project to complete but that'll be it. Making a garland with silver/copper lame fabric I've had for years. Cut 6" strips to tie onto white light strand, not sure where we'll hang it yet.
We have a little nook in one corner of l/r that hubs put shelves in so I put some holiday decs on shelves and have a shutter shelf over couch that got decorated. Don't think we're going to have a tree this year. Would have to rearrange l/r and after dec'ing all day it's just not something I want to do.
We have a half wall between kitchen and l/r that I put decs on also and will hang a garland under the shelf on that wall.
I have noticed that every year I do less and less. 2 yrs. ago 10/19 hubs had a stroke and that started us doing alot less, he wasn't up to putting any outdoor stuff up at all
This year I'm not even putting any of my village out. Couldn't find it at first and had already done the nook shelves, just didn't feel like redoing those shelves again.
It's just the hubs, me and 2 furry kids at home so don't think any body will notice no tree. Hubs did make 2 tomato cage trees using alot of garland etc. from stuff I had. We put them out on front porch on patio table with some of decs and it looks pretty cute. We went thru all our many, many boxes of holiday decs in the spring and boy did I get rid of things. Still have way too much but little by little will get rid of more.
We gave so much away to local thrift store when we purged in spring. Must have had about 10 boxes of holiday decs.
Still have two boxes of fall decs, those will be weeded out again but most of it staying.
I can remember one year in MT hubs was on the road so I got the tree in Helena. Didn't have any idea where tree stand was so walked around outside to find a bunch of big rocks to put in a bucket to put the tree in. Hubs had a laff about that one when he got home. We just left it that way. I got it decorated and lights on it, etc. so it just didn't matter that much. It was just the two of us so why bother.
Ok better end this, sorry it's so long. Guess I have too many stories. Happy Week

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

I love your story. Would love to be able to reply to you in an email but you are a no-reply blogger. You can fix that in your settings.
Seems we all have too much stuff. I should get rid of some things also.
Hope you have a wonderful holiday.
Thanks for stopping in!

Unknown said...

I'm exactly looking to do the same - want to make my 5 foot into a 6 foot tree :) good to know I'm not the only one thinking this :)

Unknown said...

I'm exactly looking to do the same - want to make my 5 foot into a 6 foot tree :) good to know I'm not the only one thinking this :)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I was searching the net to see how to make my beautiful little tree taller... Wah lah!
I'm so glad I found your idea! Perfect fit :0)

Thanks!!,
Claudia