recent posts...

Monday, April 15, 2013

Plant Stick with Pine Cone Nest

With Mother's Day coming soon I thought this would be a great project for adults or children to make for their moms. It is easy and inexpensive! These are the projects we like!!

A plant stick or pick which ever one you say, is something any mom would enjoy. This is a gift that can be for anyone though.


I have done other pine cone crafts before. I must love them!  Remember my Pine Cone frame? Another good idea for Mother's Day!
I also did an Anthro Knock off with them. 

I have a bunch in my yard I collect to use for crafts. I love 
being able to come up with different ideas for them.

Now if you don't have access to any you can purchase some. I started with a cardboard circle and took apart the pine cone to have separate pieces.


I used hot glue to attach two rows around the cardboard. (face up)

Then two more rows with piece face down. This went real fast.


The finished product looks like a nest. It is fun to do different looking nests. You can add moss and stuff to it but I wanted just the pine cone.


They make pretty flowers too!

Then I copied the pink bird graphic from The GraphicsFairy

I used card stock and cut out the image and mod podged it together. The mod podge forms a protective coating on the card stock. I then glued it to a craft stick.


I then inserted it in the whole of the nest and glued it.


For a nice presentation, I painted a pot from Old Time Pottery and transferred another bird image to the front.


Then when you give it as a gift, all they have to do is lift up the nest and insert it in a plant. Of course you can buy a plant and do the same, it is up to you!! If a child is doing this you can use regular glue.


I love how it can take an ordinary plant and make it look 
super special. 



linking



9 comments:

Christina Paul said...

This is so charming! great tutorial too- Love it!

Unknown said...

Wow, that pine cone nest is so cool! Such a creative idea!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

What a great idea. I am in love with your pine cone nest!

Little Miss Maggie said...

Very cute. The pinecone does look just like a nest.

Hydee Pole Photography said...

Very cool idea!

Bliss said...

A little bit country and a little bit rock n roll... sound like my kind a lady.

Bliss

Annette said...

I just found your site. I pinned a number of wonderful ideas. Thank you so much from Ontario, Canada

srpprcrftr said...

Wonderful tut and project. Love how the bird looks on top of the cone pieces as a nest. You're so talented Deneen. I'm dreadfully behind on my posts so missed this one. Love it, very versatile and easy. Thanks for sharing. I found out about this post on Graphics Fairy Monday. Happy Days.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Thanks so much! I am behind too! So glad you saw this at Karen's blog.