recent posts...

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Compass Table

I love to paint furniture. I really love to hand paint it also. Like my Audrey Hepburn Dresser, Butterfly Table and French Tea Cart to name a few. When I bought this little vintage round table I was going to paint a clock face on it, instead I went nautical.



It didn't start out this way. It was a dark stained table. I painted it white for a base coat. I wanted some of the white to come through when it was distressed.

I started with my projector but soon found that the circles didn't fit right so I drew it by hand. This happens a lot with projectors. As long as you can figure out the dimensions and what looks good to the eye you will make it work.


I also wanted to make this two-toned, I painted and mixed blue with white for the bottom. The top was painted old white. I didn't stop there though.


I wanted the top to look old like and old map. I painted the lines grey and the used dark wax to distress it more I sanded roughly. Then I dry brushed white on top of it.


This will go down with my favorites. I think it is fun to add a twist to furniture. Painting can help and give you the variety you are looking for when you want something different. Have you ever hand painted furniture?

I also want to tell you about a barn sale that is coming to Pulaski, Tennessee called Bella Rustica. I will be a vendor. Click and check it out. It will be located at Milky Way farm. A beautiful place.Ya'll come shop!!!




Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog

11 comments:

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Its beautiful, Deneen! I just love the compass. :)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

wow, deneen! you did an amazing job!

Decoratopia said...

What a lot of work! But it looks great. You did a really nice job!

Artsy VaVa said...

What a great table! I love it. Pinning!

Deb Hrabik said...

The compass table is so great. I especially like the worn look and the colors you usded. Awesome.
Deb@LakeGirlPaints..new follower!

reFresh reStyle said...

It looks great! I wish I'd get brave and try something like this!

Margaret said...

This is one of my most favorite nautical pieces yet-from any site, anywhere! Blown away, really. I have an almost identical coffee table that has been sitting in another room, contemplating what to do, and when I saw yours immediately thought, "That's it!" However, as some posts pointed out, "That's a lot of work!" If I do copy your design, it won't be nearly as good as yours. The graphics would make even the best eye look very close to discern if it is vintage, or a reproduction.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Wow! What a compliment Margaret!It really wasn't that much work. I would love to see your when you finish it. Good Luck!

Terry Moore said...

I have done one of these too but what caught my eye on yours is that you distressed it and I love this look. Looks like there is another one in my future!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

I would love to see yours Terry! I wanted it to look aged. I felt it would look like an old map or something I pirate would have used lol

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...

Fabulous. I am hosting a Giveaway to win a 50 dollar gift card to the store HomeGoods. It would be great if you stopped by and entered. Thanks Anu