recent posts...

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

French Farmhouse Hutch: The Rest of the Story

After posting my French Farmhouse Hutch on Monday, I decided I wanted to show you what it took to transform it. You can click on the link above to see all the beautiful details.

But this is the beginning....The rest of the story.....

Obviously the before is not pretty!

I bought it second hand. It was one of those deals you don't want to pass up. That is until you bring it home and wonder what the heck you are thinking.

One thing about hutches.....they are heavy.

And this old girl feels every lift and tug.

But I also love good transformations. And this was no exception.


It all started like this YUK!!


Did you see it? Take a look again.....


This happened as my friend and I were lifting it out of the car. It fell on the headrest and busted a hole in the back of it.

Great more work...

I had wanted to put fabric on the back of this piece anyway but when this happened I knew I would! I had bought this to go into the Barn Sale I was in but never got to it.

My friend Vonda did a beautiful hutch so I knew there would be one in the booth. When I saw hers it confirmed my decision to use fabric. She had used it on hers and it was stunning. You might see it in the link above or here.

So now I was ready to get it done.

I had to replace the whole back though. I removed all the nails and had a piece of board cut to fit.

Since the back was out, the inside was a lot easier to paint. I also wanted to remove the glass and put in chicken wire.

I taped the glass so that when I broke it the pieces wouldn't shatter everywhere.



Then I saw that the inside of the glass had rubber holding it in. All I had to do was remove that and the glass came out easily without having to break it.

I then cut the chicken wire.

Chicken wire is like torture! As you cut it, it cuts you back. I guess it is revenge!

My hands are still healing!

I bought fabric for the back and cut it to fit. Placed the back on and hammered the nails that were in the last board.


I replaced the horrid hardware and painted it. Love the before and after.


If you ever question a piece.....look at the details. Because when you paint it those are the things that matter most.

Those are the things that breathe a new breath in the piece

I just had to tell you the rest of the story!

FACEBOOK GIVEAWAY GOING ON NOW TILL MARCH 1ST!!!

Scroll down page to look for the wooden letter and you will see prizes and lots of comments. Just leave your comment there. That is all you have to do! Good Luck!

16 comments:

Pascale said...

Great Job. I really love the back and the chickenwire. Nice combination. Regards, Pascale

Johnnie said...

It looks great! Thanks for the transformation details!

Beckie @ Infarrantly Creative said...

So classy and elegant! You made it totally different! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration you shared!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

This is a great makeover! I love the fabric you used for the back. The final product is just beautiful.

Feral Turtle said...

This is simply stunning. Love the fabric detail in the back. It puts the finishing touches on it! Cheers!

Junkchiccottage said...

Thanks for finding my blog now I have found you. I love what you did with this china cabinet. So pretty white.
Kris

Donna@AllthingsMing said...

It is just beautiful! Love it !

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, this is SO cool!! Beautiful job!!

Unknown said...

What color is the hutch? Love it

connie said...

That is absolutely the most outstanding piece of art ever. It's drop-dead gorgeous. Hats off to you!!!

connie said...

That is absolutely the most outstanding piece of art ever. It's drop-dead gorgeous. Hats off to you!!!

Suzi said...

My sister lives in your town and saw this piece and loves it, I am also painting my china Hutch, with much inspiration from you. Thanks, It is beautiful. Love it.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Thanks so much! Glad to inspire!!

Bushu said...

Beautiful work. Love it.

Bushu said...

Beautiful work. Love it.

SusieQ said...

Beautiful job. I have a hitch that is along these lines and I agree .. Very heavy. This is the second make over of this type of cabinet and I am very physched to do something to mine now .. Thank you for the inspiration!