recent posts...

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Painted Dresser

This was a hard one for me. This dresser belonged to my husband's grandfather. It was in bad shape when I painted it the first time when my daughter was a baby. It looked good back then (19 years ago)in her garden inspired nursery But now it has seen better days! The paint is chipping (not in a good way) and actually it looks like it has yellowed. It has to go! ......tear




Back then it was hard to find decorative knobs so I made my own out of wooden bunnies.



I started sanding the piece and I was liking the paint underneath showing through so I decided to keep it.





I painted the draws in Martha Stewart's Ducks Egg and the outside Glidden's Black. I already had the paint so I went with it.











I knew I wanted to distress this and let the old paint shine through so back to sanding again.

I just love the look of this!





I knew I was going to change out the knobs so I went to Hobby Lobby. They were having a 50% off sale on the knob and since I needed 16 of them I thought that was a deal. Unfortunately they only had nine. So my after picture will have to be updated when the special order comes in. For now you will have to imagine them there. I can't seem to get away from the crystal knobs. I just love them!




This is before:




This is the after: Updated 3/22/11








Also I have been featured again this time on Sassy Sites for my toy box redo!
Go check it out! Less than $60

Linking to




Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up
    party!







Furniture Feature Fridays





Transformation Thursday


Beyond The Picket Fence

Grab My Button 






Savvy Southern Style










26 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

That is an absolutely wonderful makeover. I have so many shelves and cupboards that need to be painted. I just cant' decide what color would be best. ??? Hope you are having a terrific Tuesday. :) Tammy

Unknown said...

Although I thought the rabbit on the side was truly adorable, I have to admit the finished product looks pretty fantastic!

http://kidscatsclutterandklutz.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Love this transformation! Great color combination and the crystal knobs are great too!
Come link up to my Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop this Friday!

Happy Painting!
Deb

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I don't blame you for keeping this piece. It's great...wonderful transformation....love the distressing and the crystal knobs!!!

Cassie Bustamante said...

ok, your thumbnail for my party was the before pic and i was so freaked out, thinking how am i going to say something nice about the bunny... thank goodness it was BEFORE. the after is awesome! i love the hardware and colors!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

It's such a nice color combo that you chose! Gorgeous!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love it, too. What fabulous color and distressing. Thanks for joining WUW.

Carmenann said...

The dresser looks fantastic!!!!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How adorable! You did a great job and now you can really enjoy it! ♥

The Polka Dot Closet said...

What do I think....I love it, I love the colors

Carol

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Love it. I really like the chest of drawers...you did such a good job on it. It will be fun to decorate it and put stuff on it for the different seasons. YOu've inspired me to try something new like this!
Blessings,
Debbie

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

OMGoodness her makeover looks awesome!!!!

Blessings,
Linda

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

LOVE THIS! Come on ova' and link up to my Linky Party! xoxokara


*ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

Melanie Bacom said...

The dresser is really cute.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Deneen, The transformation of the dresser is fabulous! I love the glass knobs. Thank you for sharing this at my first linky party. Take care.
Sherry

c.w.frosting said...

Beautiful transformation from girly to grownup, and sharing your love for the crystal knobs!

-caroline
http://cwfrosting.blogspot.com

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

It turned out so cool! Love the old colors, too!

Becca Bertotti said...

Beautiful dresser! Love the paint colors you chose, and the crystal knobs couldn't be prettier! Great job. Becca

www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

Allison Shops said...

That's quite a change - how mice it is to keep the family piece, but make it your own.
Dropping by from Furniture Feature Friday.

Allison
Atticmag

mybelleepoque said...

Super cute... love the color and the knobs you chose!

Pamela said...

Sooo much better!

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

I am IN LOVE with this dresser!

Thank you for linking this up to Whassup Wednesday! Hope to see you this week at my
Par-Taaaay!

xoxokara

ohiofarmgirl said...

Love the way it turnout. I put those same knobs in my upstairs bathroom. I am going today to get some paint to do something similar. I painted everything white yesterday....I have not distressed anything so this will be a new challenge. We will see. Dianntha

Nicole Joelle said...

Well, you definitely tranformed this dresser! Lovely job :)

A Vintage Vine said...

Great makeover....FYI, those bunny knobs you made, yrs ago, are pretty darn good!

decorating diva {aka deanna} said...

great make over!