recent posts...

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Baby Chicks in the Coop

You are gonna fall in love with this!

I love the little baby chicks. All fluffy and new!

Baby birds are our little musical introduction to spring.

But lets face it they can be loud and dirty and those feathers can get everywhere!
Not these little ones!

As I was shopping at Pier I this weekend I came across something similar. I was wanting to challenge myself with something different.

I get tired of seeing the same old things. I was ready for a change.

I started with twigs from outside, cardboard, a dollar tree basket, moss and two little feathered chicks.





I bought this pink basket at the dollar store and began to strip it!




This will become our chicken coop. The white has to go so I lightly sanded it and started to paint so it could look rusty.



I used orange brown and black paint to give it the effect of rusting.





I then began to cut my chicken wire to wrap around the basket. The basket needs to be upside down when covering the outside of it

I think if I was to do more I would get the wire that looks like tiny squares but this works fine and you only need a little. The cost is pennies. A whole role was $3 and some people can find this at the dollar store. I wasn't that lucky.





I cut a piece of cardboard around the bottom of the piece and hot glued some moss.Then add chicks.




Isn't he adorable?!!!! I got them at Michaels for $2.99 but you probably can find them cheaper. I had a coupon for 25% off so it was cheaper than the 2.99 regular price. They are just too stinking cute!
Hot glue them to the moss and push cardboard into the bottom of the basket. Hot glue! Watch those fingers!





Start adding twigs around the structure of basket by hot gluing or wiring. I also bent a twig to make a handle. This doesn't have to be perfect. It looks better when it is not!

The chicks should look all caged up now. Don't worry they like their new home!




I just love tweet'l dum and tweet'l dee!


linking to
http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/2011/03/whatever-goes-wednesday-59.html
giveaways

5 comments:

Carol said...

Sweet!♥♥♥♥♥

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

OMGosh! I HEART them! That is so caaaaute! I just want to hold one of those cuties and love on it!
DARLING! Thank you for linking up at Whassup!

xoxokara

Carmenann said...

Too precious.......

Michelle {Daydream Believers} said...

SO adorable! :) Those little chicks are precious and the cage looks great too! Nice work!

Miss Kitty said...

You are so creative to think about using that pink basket from Dollar Tree as the frame for the chicken wire. I need to think more "outside the box" like you do to see potential in unlikely things.